Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My Wonderfully Irregular Family

I just had to share this with a group who would understand. Today, I stopped by the surgery center here (that I helped get started last year) to show off Audrey and share some pictures from our trip to China. Lilli had been in with me numerous times and they all knew her well. I ran into our sweet custodian who loves my Lilli and thinks she is a cutie. While she was looking at my pictures she pointed to Ben and searched for the right words and then asked, "Is this your REGULAR son?" I said “yes”. She talked about how handsome he was and of course made a big fuss over the girls.

Now, my reaction could have gone two ways. I could have been insulted and given her a smart answer. Or, I could have answered honestly as I did and chuckled on the inside. This sweet lady certainly didn't mean any harm and I know she adores the girls. She wouldn't insult me for the world. She just couldn't think of the word "biological" on the spur of the moment. Actually, in reality, it's not a word most people use everyday!

On my way home I thought about how much I love my IRREGULAR daughters. Sometimes in life, irregular is good. Our family isn't like most, but I feel so blessed that God chose for it to be just like it is. I wouldn't change a thing! I have one biological son (REGULAR, I guess) and two precious daughters through the miracle of adoption. Lilli and Audrey are going to encounter people such as this sweet custodian all of their lives. They may not have the adoption lingo down just right, but I want them to look at their hearts. I truly believe that we as parents teach them through our actions and words to accept and cherish their uniqueness. And, yes, their very presence in our lives is unique.

It still amazes me to think that we traveled halfway around the world to bring our daughters (whom I love so much that I often forget I didn't give birth to them)HOME. Tonight, I will read a story, pray with, and tuck my amazing IRREGULAR daughters into bed, hug my REGULAR son and thank God once again for the blessing of my wonderfully irregular family!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice that we are all a little "irregular"? I loved your story and think that your response was full of so much understanding.

We also have an irregular daughter from the Marshall Islands and going for our next irregular daughte from Fuzhou SWI in Jiangxi in 9 days.

When I think of our dd #1, I forget that I did not give birth to her, and do not remember that she does not look like me,,,but she does! Two eyes, a cute nose, and a loving smile. I know that I will feel the same about dd#2 in 9 days.

Cynthia

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home